Monday, October 28, 2013

Plan B


I have made woefully little progress on Of a Summer's Day. I am still struggling with the order of work, embellish first, or quilt.

The larkspurs have been outlined with coral stitch, and I am happy with that result. But as I began to add in embroidery details to the leaves and stems, I had a crisis of confidence. I can accomplish the same look with my quilting lines. Indeed, I will want to stitch in the ditch around all of the applique to enhance the dimensionality. Hand embroidery now will just cover exactly where I want to stitch.


So, it's off to Plan B. I've pulled some of the thread for quilting in details. I see that I forgot to pick out some yellows for the coreopsis. Instead of my usual choice of fat threads for dramatic effect, these are fine threads, for a more subtle look.

It must be that I am pretty invested in this pattern for it to be giving me so much grief. Maybe it's because I have no deadline, or publication plans. Either way, I would like this project to end up being top notch, and that's a lot of pressure. I find myself wanting this to be "the" best instead of "my" best. Silly me, way to suck the joy out of what should be a fun and interesting adventure. I think it's time for me to get over myself and get working.

2 comments:

  1. have you thought of quilting first and then going in with the embroidery thread to enhance? btw, this is totally amazing as is - it will be breathtaking no matter what you do next

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:56 AM

    I agree with suz. I think that would work out best. It is a beautiful piece, also! You are so talented. You should relax and trust your instincts...you have a gift! Leslie Hoff

    ReplyDelete