Thursday, January 10, 2013

Project Progress



Day two of the "project" began with pressing the rounded spikey elements (I'm thinking maybe I'll call it larkspur, what do you think?) in place on the fabrics. When working with multiple values, this is how I arrange them on the ironing board, moving from light to dark. It makes it easy to deal out the pieces, which have already been marked with the desired value. It's fun then to play around on the fabric to the best advantage. I'm using batiks in this project. They are hard to beat when it comes to value variations in one hunk of fabric.

The palette has changed slightly. I've become certain that the project needs a little spark of yellow. This is what I have in my stash, but I'm not sure it's quite right. I think it means I'll need to go shopping. Oh, darn.

I've also pulled a couple of prints to use as the background. The main background is sky blue, and the accent is a slightly darker shade. I'm so glad, though, that I can wait until the end to decide on the background. I probably won't use these fabrics, but I think the colors are in the right direction. Of course I'm always open to suggestions!



My shopping day, yesterday, was only partly successful. I didn't find the clothes that I was looking for, but I did get my hair trimmed and my eyebrows done. Discouraged by what I found at the mall, I came home early and used the time to prepare the leaves.


All of the elements are now pressed to the fabrics. The greens fall into two families, warm and cold. I'm thinking that I might dub the yellow flowers as coreopsis zagreb, and embroider in the wispy leaves. I'll spend the afternoon trimming away the excess fabric, listening to The Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly. I do love listening to books on my ipod.

2 comments:

  1. How much would you charge to come to my house...not too terribly far from yours....to make my fabric stacks look like yours? I lust for your fabric organization....really!

    Love the colors you have chosen, I can wait to see this one finished. You do such lovely work.

    I never find clothes I like at the mall....oddly enough, I find a better selection at our local Salvation Army. Many of them still have the new tags and I seem to find something each time I go. Sounds odd, but it is true.

    Smiles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:42 AM

    It's a beautiful thing to see a great mind at work ....those colours look sumptuous!

    ReplyDelete