Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Summer Knitting


Knitting is what I do so I know I'm not working. Quilting has become my job, one that I love, but full of deadlines and other pressures. I get giggly about knitting. My commitment to limiting my yarn stash has devolved into storing the yarns in decorative baskets sorted into projects. I have the same passion to stash yarn that once fueled my fabric habit.

I wish we had something like Ravelry for the quilting world. It seems like all of our sites for meeting up are hosted by quilting personalities, not that there's anything wrong with that. But Ravelry is a free wheeling love-in for those who love yarn. Groups can form to share a common interest. Designers can post and sell their patterns. Each user can track projects, store pdfs in a personal library, catalogue a stash (no way I want to sum up what is in my stash).

The Loopy Ewe is one of my favorite online yarn shops, and this year they are once again running Camp Loopy. It's been a blast. We have a goal for each summer month, dictated by the number of yards of yarn knitted, using a pattern from a designer who is from a different country than our own, using the colors from our national flags, and so on.

I'm currently in my shawl phase. I love knitting lace shawls. The designs are complex enough to keep my attention. It's so gratifying to move from chart to chart and see the design come to life.



This is Jaali. I love this designer, her shawls are so very architectural.





It's light as a feather, just a wisp of warmth, knit with a yarn that is half wool and half silk. Love, love.

No comments:

Post a Comment